Before filing a claim, contact emergency services (e.g., the
police or fire department), if appropriate. Get a copy of the
police report if one is filed.
Report a Claim
- Report a
claim to us or to your agent immediately.
- If possible, provide your policy number and contact
When You Report a Claim
- We'll assign a claims representative and claim number to your
- Your claims representative will contact you for details of the
claim and to explain your coverage.
- A company representative may inspect your damages and prepare a
repair estimate. You can also contact a contractor for an estimate
and discuss it with the claims representative to ensure that all
damages are identified.
- On smaller losses, your damages may be appraised over the phone
or you will be asked for a repair estimate.
- QBE works with CodeBlue for help with claims involving
water damage. Depending on coverage confirmation, CodeBlue can
provide immediate assistance in lessening further damage.
After You Report a Claim
- Temporarily repair your property to protect it from more
damage, such as installing a new lock on your door or covering a
hole in the roof. Save the receipts for these expenses for
reimbursement. Keep damaged items for inspection.
- If you must relocate to a hotel or temporary apartment, keep
records and receipts.
- A claims representative will contact you to discuss your claim.
Depending on the type and size of the claim, an inspection of your
property may be required.
- You'll receive a check promptly after a settlement agreement is reached. In
some cases, you may also receive an advance on your settlement to
begin paying for repairs and other necessities.
- Prepare a room-by-room list of stolen, damaged or destroyed
property, including brand name, model number, age, purchase price,
place of purchase and replacement cost.
- Photograph or videotape damaged property.
- Protect your property to prevent further loss.
- Save damaged property until your claims representative has
completed an investigation.
- If the loss forces you to seek temporary housing, keep a list
of additional living expenses, such as meals and motel costs.
- Keep a list of supplies purchased to make emergency repairs as
well as the time spent on them.
- Be sure your claims representative has a forwarding address or
Keep in mind that this is a general overview of the claims
process. Each claim is unique and this may not be the process for