Wednesday, July 30, 2014
New York — Four times a year, the QBE Foundation awards grants of up to $10,000 to local nonprofit organizations nominated by the company’s employees. This summer, the Foundation awarded more than $100,000 for in grants for programs provided by 23 charitable organizations around the country.
This summer’s grants exemplify QBE’s ongoing commitment to supporting community organizations that help people live more independently, successfully and productively.
The Foundation’s grant program supports large and small nonprofits serving diverse populations. The program also matches employee fundraising efforts on behalf of qualified charities.
Since its formation in 2011, the QBE Foundation has given away more than $3.3 million to eligible charities in North America. In addition to its local grant program, the Foundation funds charities that have a national footprint. In past years, these awards have ranged from $25,000 to $175,000. The Foundation also supports groups that provide assistance following a natural disaster. Employees nominate the charities for disaster-relief grants of up to $5,000 each.
“Throughout the year, we encourage our employees to nominate their favorite charities for grants,” says QBE Foundation Chair Sue Harnett. “As you can see, the groups represent many different interests but they all provide important services to adults and children. These charities make a difference in people’s lives.”
The following is a list of organizations that received QBE Foundation grants for the second quarter of 2014:
- St. Baldrick’s Foundation, Monrovia, Calif.
- Next Step Hoops, Moorpark, Calif.
- Celebrating All That is Feminine, Elgin, Ill.
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Denver, Colo.
- Ear Community, Broomfield, Colo.
- WaterAid America, New York, N.Y.
- The Extension, Marietta, Ga.
- Four Block Foundation, New York, N.Y.
- DonorsChoose.org, New York, N.Y.
- Working Wardrobes, Costa Mesa, Calif.
- Child Crisis Center, Mesa, Ariz.
- University of Wisconsin Foundation, Madison, Wis.
- Boys Hope Girls Hope, Bridgeton, Mo.
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, Ga.
- The Forum School, Waldwick, N.J.
- Brooklyn Community Services, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Apollo Theater Academy, New York, N.Y.
- Sun Prairie Education Foundation, Sun Prairie, Wis.
- College Possible, St. Paul, Minn.
- Bladder Exstrophy Research Foundation, Newport Beach, Calif.
- We Care WSMGA, Raleigh, N.C.
- New York Asian Women's Center, New York, N.Y.
- Hopelink, Redmond, Wash.
QBE North America is part of QBE Insurance Group Limited, one of the top 20 insurers and reinsurers worldwide. QBE NA reported Gross Written Premiums in 2013 of $5.855 billion. QBE Insurance Group’s 2012 results can be found at http://www.qbena.com/. Headquartered in Sydney, Australia, QBE operates out of 43 countries around the globe, with a presence in every key insurance market. The North America division, headquartered in New York, conducts business through its property and casualty insurance subsidiaries. QBE insurance companies are rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best and “A+” by Standard & Poor’s